Memorial Day 1963. A day when our nation was honoring the fallen who had given their lives in service to their country. A day when many were probably out enjoying picnics, barbeques, and parades. It was also the day when my mom went into labor, my dad drove her to the hospital and, thinking he had time for a quick errand, left her in the doctor’s capable hands. Boy, was he surprised when he returned to the hospital a short while later, and was told my mom had a baby girl, me! As my brother will tell you, that was probably the last time I arrived early for anything!
Like my brother, who was born on New Year’s Eve, this year my birthday falls on a holiday. But unlike my brother, who grew up feeling like he was getting short-changed on gifts or parties because he had to share his birthday with a major holiday, I don’t mind sharing my birthday with Memorial Day. Because my birthday falls on Memorial Day I sometimes get a day off from work, friends or family are ready for a party, there’s always a new movie release, and there are some really great sales. This year, I am not going to any parties or barbeques. I will go out to lunch with my family and if the weather clears, maybe I’ll go the beach, and if not, then I may see one of new summer movie releases. Sounds like a perfectly good way to spend the day, especially when I am still reeling from our whirlwind New York trip last weekend.
In honor of this birthday, the birthday that brings me another year closer to a landmark birthday, I have been putting together a list, a Bucket List, of sorts. I shared the list with my husband, and he said it looks more like a big ass TO DO list. True. Many of the things on my list involve home projects, and probably cause him some concern because that means the Honey-Do List isn’t too far behind. Some of the things on my list probably are contradictory, like #37, “Try a new wine, #20 “Try a new recipe once a week” and #18, “Lose 15 pounds.” But still, it’s my list, and I hope by putting out here in the Blogosphere, I will be more inclined to check it off as “Done.” Besides, the list may generate some interesting blogging material. I hope that some of the activities on my list will keep me from getting too caught up in the busyness of life and force me carve out some time for some fun. So, here’s my list of 50 Things to Do Before 50:
1. Take a sunrise hike.
2. Clean out my attic.
3. Clean out and re-organize my pantry.
4. Organize the kid’s school files/records/memorbilia.
5. Re-paint my family room.
6. Take a cooking class.
7. Make curtains for my bedroom.
8. Read a classic American novel.
9. Read a classic English novel.
10. Whiten my teeth.
11. Learn to take better pictures.
12. Print photos for my hallway.
13. Frame photos for my hallway.
14. Hang photos in my hallway
15. Go on an overnight spiritual retreat.
16. Teach Diego to ride a bike.
17. Ride bikes along the beach.
18. Lose and keep off 15 pounds.
19. Try cooking with a new food once a month.
20. Try a new wine once a month.
21. Visit a local landmark/attraction once a month.
22. Travel to Italy.
23. Get a new blog design.
24. Review my financial retirement plan.
25. Begin working on my book.
26. Drop a dress size.
27. Take on a cause.
28. Replace my morning coffee with green tea.
29. Take a hot air balloon ride.
30. Keep a Gratitude Journal.
31. Thank some of my former school teachers: Mrs. Smith, Mr. Gilliland, Mr. Brooks.
32. Take a sunset horseback ride.
33. Participate in a 1/2 marathon.
34. Go to the Hollywood Bowl with a picnic.
35. Camp on the beach.
36. Get a dog.
37. Try a new recipe once a week.
38. See the desert in bloom.
39. Watch a movie marathon.
40. Go on a baseball trip.
41. Plan my 50th birthday bash.
42. Take a family portrait.
43. Pay off my student loans.
44. Get a new car. (Not a minivan)
45. Try out for The Amazing Race.
46. Complete Covenant II.
47. See Les Miserables (again!).
48. Learn to knit a hat.
49. Scan and organize old photos.
50. Practice spanish weekly.
So, there you have it. This list will stay up under the “My Story” menu tab on my blog. So you and I can both go back there and check it out to see how I am progressing. Good thing I have some time to finish it off because I will definitely need it. Now, I am going to get celebrating my own Memorial/Birthday….